RelyX Veneer Cement 3M ESPE is a radiopaque, color stable, light-cured resin cement indicated for bonding veneers fabricated of porcelain or composite. It is used in conjunction with 3M ESPE RelyX Try-In Pastes, Adper Single Bond Plus Adhesive, Adper Scotchbond Multi-Purpose Adhesive and RelyX Ceramic Primer or Scotchbond Universal Adhesive. An additional silane primer is not required when using Scotchbond Universal Adhesive. The RelyX Veneer cement contains a resin system consisting of a TEGDMA/BisGMA blend and a zirconia/silica filler with a particle size range of 0.2–3.0 microns and volume percentage of approximately 47%.
RelyX Veneer cement is designed to be used in conjunction with Adper Single Bond Plus Adhesive, Adper Scotchbond Multi-Purpose Adhesive, or Scotchbond Universal Adhesive and RelyX Try-In pastes. It is recommended that RelyX Veneer cement be used only with 3M ESPE adhesive systems where veneer bonding is indicated. Please read the instructions for use of the 3M ESPE adhesive system you use for additional safety and dispensing information.
Note: 3M ESPE disclaims liability for claims arising from the use of RelyX Veneer cement with any adhesive other than Adper Single Bond Adhesive, Adper Scotchbond Multi-Purpose Adhesive, and Scotchbond Universal Adhesive.
- Permanent cementation of ceramic or composite veneers
Precautionary Information for Patients
These products contain substances that may cause an allergic reaction by skin contact in certain individuals. Avoid use of these products in patients with known acrylate allergies. If prolonged contact with oral tissue occurs, flush with large amounts of water. If allergic reaction occurs, seek medical attention as needed, remove the product if necessary and discontinue future use of these products.
Precautionary Information for Dental Personnel
These products contain substances that may cause an allergic reaction by skin contact in certain individuals. To reduce the risk of allergic response, minimize exposure to these materials. In particular avoid exposure to uncured product. If skin contact occurs, wash skin with soap and water. Use of protective gloves and a no-touch technique is recommended. Acrylates may penetrate commonly used gloves. If the product contacts the glove, remove and discard glove, wash hands immediately with soap and water and then re-glove. If allergic reaction occurs, seek medical attention as needed. Please refer to the instructions for use of the 3M ESPE adhesive system you use for additional precautionary information.
ETCHANT PRECAUTIONS: Contact with eyes or skin may cause burns. In case of contact, flush area with plenty of water and seek medical advice. Wear suitable protective clothing, gloves and eye/face protection. Refer to MSDS.
Adper Single Bond Plus Adhesive, RelyX Ceramic Primer and Scotchbond Universal Adhesive are highly flammable. Avoid static discharge. Keep away from heat, sparks, open flame, pilot light, and other sources of ignition. Refer to MSDS.
Instructions for use RelyX Veneer Cement
1. To prepare the veneer, the internal bonding surface of a ceramic veneer surface should be micro-etched with a hydrofluoric acid etchant. The dental laboratory typically does this. The internal surface of a composite veneer should be roughened by sandblasting or air abrasion.
2. Remove the provisional restoration, if present, from the tooth. Clean tooth with pumice; rinse thoroughly and lightly air dry.
3. Check the fit and esthetics of the restoration by trying in the veneer with water or the Translucent shade of RelyX Try-In paste. If the fit and esthetics are acceptable, proceed directly to step 5 using the Translucent shade of RelyX Veneer cement.
4. If color adjustment is needed, select the appropriate shade of RelyX Try-In paste. Apply RelyX Try-In paste directly onto the internal surface of the veneer. Gently seat the veneer onto the tooth preparation. With multiple veneers, start at the midline and seat veneers sequentially working back. The shade of RelyX Try-In paste is formulated to precisely match the corresponding cured shade of the cement.
5. Once the fit and esthetics are verified, remove the veneers and thoroughly rinse the RelyX Try-In paste from the tooth and restoration with a water spray and then dry.
6. The internal surface of the veneer should be thoroughly cleaned prior to applying the silane or adhesive to remove any contaminants. The surface can be cleaned by applying etchant (34%-35% phosphoric acid) for 15 seconds followed by rinsing and drying.
6.1. For Adper Single Bond Plus Adhesive and Scotchbond Multipurpose Plus Adhesive: Dispense RelyX Ceramic Primer (silane) into a mixing well. Brush a layer of the silane onto the internal surface of the veneer. Lightly air-dry the surface for 5 seconds to evaporate the solvent.
6.2. For Scotchbond Universal Adhesive: Use the disposable applicator to apply Scotchbond Universal to the etched veneer. Subsequently direct a gentle stream of air over the liquid for about 5 sec until it no longer moves and the solvent has evaporated completely. Do not light-cure.
7. Clean the prepared teeth using flour of pumice slurry. Rinse and lightly dry. Isolate the area to prevent contamination. Place matrix strips between teeth to prevent unwanted bonding to adjacent teeth.
1. Etch the tooth preparation. Apply etchant to both dentin and enamel for 15 seconds. Rinse for 10 seconds. Blot excess water leaving tooth moist. If the tooth is accidentally dried, rewet the bonding surface with water for 15 seconds and blot excess leaving tooth moist. Alternatively, a HEMA based desensitizing agent can be applied to the etched dentin according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Apply the adhesive.
2.1. For Adper Single Bond Plus Adhesive: Immediately after blotting, apply 2-3 consecutive coats of adhesive to etched enamel and dentin for 15 seconds with gentle agitation using a fully saturated applicator. Gently air thin for five seconds to evaporate solvents. Do not light cure. Apply 1 coat of Adper Single Bond Plus Adhesive to the silane treated veneer. Dry gently for 5 seconds. Do not light cure.
2.2. For Adper Scotchbond Multi-Purpose adhesive: Apply Adper Scotchbond Multi-Purpose Primer to etched enamel and dentin.
Dry gently for 5 seconds. Apply Adper Scotchbond Multi-Purpose Adhesive to the primed enamel and dentin. Do not light cure.
Apply 1 coat Adper Scotchbond Multi-Purpose Adhesive to the silane treated veneer. Do not light cure.
3. For Scotchbond Universal adhesive: Use the disposable applicator to apply Scotchbond Universal immediately to the entire surface of the enamel and dentin and rub it in for 20 sec. Avoid contact between the adhesive and the oral mucosa. If necessary, rewet the disposable applicator during treatment. Subsequently direct a gentle stream of air over the liquid for about 5 sec until it no longer moves and the solvent has evaporated completely. Do not light-cure. Apply a thin layer of the selected shade of RelyX Veneer cement directly from the syringe onto the bonding surface of the veneer. Protect the cement from direct operatory light exposure.
4. Seat the veneer in place using gentle pressure. Excess cement will extrude out around the margins. Spot cure the veneer into place on the facial surface away from the margins using a small diameter light guide for 20 seconds to secure it in place.
5. Remove the excess cement from the margins using a blunt instrument or dry brush. Alternatively, the excess cement can be “tack-cured” for 3 seconds with a standard halogen light to allow the excess to gel and allow for easier cleanup.
6. Light cure the labial, lingual, interproximal and occlusal surfaces for 30 seconds each. The A5 Opaque/Dark shade will require a 40 second exposure for each surface. Curing recommendations will allow for cement cure depths not less than 0.5 mm for the opaque shades and not less than 1.5 mm for the nonopaque shades. Note: The cure times are indicated for a standard halogen curing light with a minimum light output of 400 mW/cm2
7. Remove matrix strips. Finish marginal areas with Sof-Lex Finishing and Polishing Strips and Discs, manufactured by 3M ESPE. Check and adjust occlusion as necessary.
Storage and use:
This product is designed to be used at room temperature. If stored in cooler allow product to reach room temperature prior to use. Shelf life at room temperature is 24 months. Ambient temperatures routinely higher than 27°C/80°F may reduce shelf life. See outer package for expiration date. Please refer to the instructions for use of the 3M ESPE adhesive system you use for specific storage and use information. Do not expose materials to elevated temperatures or intense light. Do not store materials in proximity to eugenol-containing products.
Cleaning and Disinfection
Disinfect the product using an intermediate level disinfection process (liquid contact) as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and endorsed by the American Dental Association.
CDC Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities, 2008. Rutala WA, Weber DJ, Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC).